My New Wash n Go Style: Mini Twists

by Mona-Lisa on April 29, 2010

Hey BMP readers! These are mini twists I did last weekend so that I could have an easy-going wash & go hair-style for these last three weeks of the semester. I did this on my dirty pressed hair because I wanted to avoid applying heat again, save on time and unnecessary manipulation of my strands. Rather then wash my hair, DC then blowdry (which would have contradicted my goal of taking a break from heat).

I twisted my hair tightly by employing the twist and turn method which you can watch here….secured my ends….then washed my hair three times with Trader Joe’s NourishSpa, added Aussie 3 Minute Miracle and left it on for about 10 minutes rinsed then added a generous amount of Aussie Moist conditioner and left it in as a leave-in. My hair dried buttery soft and felt clean and moisturized.

Anywhoo here are the pics of my twisted pressed hair and my shrunken hair after the wash. My shrunken twists land halfway between shoulder blades and Arm Pit Length….I’ve come to realize that twists shrink more then Pixie Braids….but I opted for these because they’ll be way easier to take down in three weeks. So far I’m co-washing every 3 days and falling more and more in love with is with each passing day. Here are the pics.

My Mini Twists 004

My Mini Twists 006

_________________________

My Mini Twists 011

____________________

My Mini Twists 013

____________________

Thanks for reading! Let me know if you have *any* questions :)

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

nikki2229 April 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I love it BMP!

Mona-Lisa April 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm

thanksomuch nikki! :)

virtuenow April 30, 2010 at 4:54 am

Thx for the awesome style, I have alot of questions bc this is also my style of choice right now! When you co-wash the twists, what do u co wash with? Do u mix your leave in w/the stuff from your other thread w/the little girl or just use the Aussie Moist alone? Do you use as much leave in conditioner as that pictorial w/the 4bc girl; how much & how do u apply it? Do u hve to retwist the hair to get it to lay down and have length? How do you prevent fuzzy hair after your co-wash? How do do you dry it once u add the leave-in? I am so afraid of co washing my hair and airdrying without the blowdryer. I don’t kn how u guys do it!

Mona-Lisa April 30, 2010 at 11:21 am

I wash with Aussie Moist Conditioner.

I just use the Aussie moist alone as a leave-in partly because I don’t have all my stuff with me in my dorm and partly because its just faster and it does the job jut a good

mmmm maybe a little less then that but I can use a much as I want…I just slather it on I typically use the equivalent of three tablespoons….its whatever I feel like.

Do u hve to retwist the hair to get it to lay down and have length?

Oh definitely not that would just defeat the purpose of an easygoing style lol I dont have to retwist my whole head….once in a while I have *one* twist where the ends are starting to unravel after a co-wash….I just retwist that one twist and thats that. :)

How do you prevent fuzzy hair after your co-wash?

Well in the beginning (meaning the first two weeks or so) even though I’m co-washing all the time….it wont get very fuzzy on me because its a new style also the way I wash is to gently massage the conditioner into my scalp and then rake downwards so as not to cause it to get fuzzy on me prematurely. As it ages and it gets beyond 3 weeks old….it will probably start to get fuzzy on me…but thats cool because i plan to take them down by then anyhow lol

How do do you dry it once u add the leave-in?

I simply allow it to air-dry….once the leave-in is in I go about my merry day.

I would say if you’re concerned about your hair being dried out when you air dry then apply the conditioner to your twists….then apply two fingers full of curl activator gel and seal with an oil….that should really keep your coils nicely moisturized.

As for the twists…..its VASTLY important that you do them very tightly and securely when you’re first doing them employing the twist and turn method so that they’ll have lasting power.

I wish you the best of luck virtuenow! I’m here if you need any more tips :) good luck!

virtuenow April 30, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Thanks for the prompt response! The twist and turn meth sounds like what I will go with the next time. I just took 3 days to undo the hard hair wash out one twist at a time. I took your advice and mixed my aussie moist/nexxus humectress with olive oil, and the ingredients i read on the Hawaiian Silky 14-1 that I like. I am still not comfortable w/the idea of using activator b/c so many have mineral oil and my hair dries out easy (plus I had jeri curl as a kid, but thats another story). So of course I omitted the gel too. Anyway, I was heavy on the glycerine, castor oil and coconut oil. I saturated my stuck together/matted twists one at a time and undid then redid each twist. That concoction you inspired is awesome. At first I thought I might have to cut sections of my hair out from trying the wash n go. But the mix loosened my hair right up.

This new moisturizer is hard to describe; b/c I thought my shea butter/mango butter qp/coconut oil/jojoba mix was the most moist thing i ever felt– and I compare it to Jeri juice. It made my hair feel like… hair for the first time (if that makes sense) . It still is the most moisturizing. But this new mix is probably equally as moisturizing but not in a buttery kind of way. Its a deep moisture…it doesn’t leave the hair. I guess I’m supposed to reapply it daily , but so far i don’t thk i need to.

At this point I’m not sure if i will attempt the wash n go w/this set of twists, though very tempting to try the experiment again. Since I didn’t use the twist n twirl technique u posted on, they probably are not tight enuf to maintain the twist pattern w/o the extra poof and fuzz and (omg) tangling.

What daily moisturizer do u use on the twists? Do u reuse the aussie or a butter?? Sorry so long, i just want to get this lo maintenance -but w/style and flare thing down!

Mona-Lisa April 30, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Wow! I’m sooooo happy to hear that!

I can’t wait till you try the twist and turn method on small twists….you wont regret it :)

This new moisturizer is hard to describe; b/c I thought my shea butter/mango butter qp/coconut oil/jojoba mix was the most moist thing i ever felt- and I compare it to Jeri juice. It made my hair feel like… hair for the first time (if that makes sense) . It still is the most moisturizing. But this new mix is probably equally as moisturizing but not in a buttery kind of way. Its a deep moisture…it doesn’t leave the hair. I guess I’m supposed to reapply it daily , but so far i don’t thk i need to.

Wooohoooo! 8)

I use aussie moist once I get outta the shower every day and that’s it! If I were home I would also layer some curl activtor gel and possibly seal with a bit of shea or EVCO but for now Aussie is sufficing.

Today my hair felt a tad dry so I grabbed my ORS Olive Oil cream and put a small dab on my hair and it made them feel really supple….thats what I do.

keda May 15, 2010 at 10:43 am

Your hair looks AMAZING, BMP!!!!

Mona-Lisa May 15, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Thanks Keda! Its officially three weeks old now……. I just washed it for the billionth time and its holding up beautifully! :)

Kassandra Bragg June 29, 2010 at 11:50 am

These are gorgeous! I love how they look like Senegalese twists before the wash and kinky twists afterward! Natural hair is truly amazing! I can’t wait until I’m fully natural! :)

Mona-Lisa July 6, 2010 at 12:23 pm

It was pretty cool to see the transformation….. so glad to give you something to look forward to hun! You’re gonna love it ;)

z October 18, 2010 at 6:26 pm

These look great!!!!!

Franchise November 15, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I had a bad wednesday. But I explored your blog and I’m inspired! So great to have helpful people like you.

Tha Kitchen November 16, 2010 at 8:43 pm

hair care should also be supplemented with oral vitamins and minerals, biotin helps a lot in making healthy hair

Wendy Skinkle June 16, 2011 at 1:39 am

I stumbled upon this I’ve found It so useful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & aid other users like its helped me. Great job.

Premarie October 5, 2011 at 11:31 am

you’ve done a great job, did you add weave to your hair, or is this all your hair. The tutorial is with added hair. If you did add hair what type was it? THanks!

Mona-Lisa October 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm

No weave added whatsoever, this is all my hair. Thanks for reading! ;)

Premarie October 6, 2011 at 11:13 am

Wow just awesome! I can’t wait to try it.

Mona-Lisa October 6, 2011 at 12:11 pm

best of luck! Its a really pretty fun style :)

Tina December 7, 2011 at 4:37 am

Have you done twist with added hair? If so, what hair would you recommend to achieve the look on your pics?

Mona-Lisa December 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I would get kinky hair for the after wash look, for the pre-wash silky look I would use regla ole kanekalon.