The easiest way to transition is to simply do what is known as “The Big Chop” and chop off your relaxed hair and start out with a fresh head of coily kinky goodness J
However if you prefer not to “chop” and you want to do a long term transition as I did, here are some tips on how to go about it:
– Start washing your hair in medium sized braids this will GREATLY reduce or completely eliminate the issue of tangles especially if you plan on straightening your hair during your transition
– Get twists extensions rather than micro braids
- With twists you can get the $3 Kanekalon hair with no damage to your hair whereas when you get braids you have to get human hair or else your hair will break off
- You can take twists out very easily on your own within an hour to two hours time, I don’t think I even need to tell yall how different that is from the endeavor of taking some micro’s out!! Lol
- You get awesome growth and length retention from this style and it’s a great way to give your hair a break from daily manipulation for a while and you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you take them out
– You WILL have moments of weakness where you feel like why don’t I just slap some relaxer on here and give up! But believe me, if you hold on till that day you’re rocking a fro so huge you stop people in their tracks….you’ll be glad you made the transition.